Thursday, October 4, 2012

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

# 4- Downtown/Medical Center

This is less about the bus and more about the grocery store. I got off at Kentucky Street and walked to the Sad Kroger at 2nd Street to pick up a few items. While I was grabbing milk, I heard a man tell another man, I'll buy you $14 in groceries for $7. As I was walking away, the man then approached me. Ma'am. I'll buy you $14 in groceries for $7, he said while holding an electronic card in his hand. I said No and walked away. And then spent the rest of the time in the store and the walk home and additional time thinking about him and his offer. I called my husband: You're more wordly about this sort of thing than I. Was he offering to buy me groceries with "food stamps?" The electronic card had stars and stripes on it, but so did my former Pentagon Federal Credit Union bank card. Why would someone do that? I learned that it was illegal, which I figured, that a 2-to-1 rate could be considered low, and that he probably wanted cash to get something not allowed on the card. Which could be cigarettes and alcohol or even regular household items that weren't food and not covered. I didn't see myself aligning with the random guy in the grocery store, but I wondered how long it took for him to find a taker.

No comments:

Post a Comment