Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Monday, September 10, 2012

# 4 - Downtown Medical Center
Status: LATE! (4:36 pm)

The #4 route recently switched to a bus-every-10-minutes schedule. I'm half convinced TARC changed the schedule but not the number of buses. The afternoon buses have been delayed.I gave up on the 4:16 after last week and planned for the 4:26, which has been better.


or so...

On Monday I was meeting a friend after work and aimed for the 4:36 to give me plenty of time to get from my stop to the brewpub. I walked up 4th Street and around 4:26 saw two buses pass me in succession. I stopped at Lee to wait for the 4:36. Closer to 4:46, a bus pulled up with another one right behind it.

Note: Two buses every 20 minutes is not the same as one bus every 10 minutes.

The first bus stopped for me but then drove past other stops. The driver made a motion like he was pointing to the bus (somewhere) behind him, but I'm not sure that's a universal signal. At Ormsby, two people north of the stop were running towards the corner when the bus drove by. The woman on the sidewalk had on her face what can only be described as a WTF look.

At Broadway there was a TARC driver waiting to start her shift. This is when I figured out I was on the 4:46 bus and the 4:36 one was behind us. I got the impression that at that point the buses "switched," which would not have made a difference until they switched to the southbound route. I disembarked at 1st south of Market and walked the few blocks to my destination.

2 comments:

  1. The timing for the "one in ten" ad is perfect: we are awash in political campaign ads of similar reliability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something about accuracy vs. precision in here.

    ReplyDelete