Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thursday, June 28, 2012

# 4 - Southbound

Following this interaction, I texted my husband, "If you know it's a scam, but you give money anyway, can you still say you've been had?"

It was sunny and not wicked hot yet, and I only had 2 days of work left before a delightful, 9-day vacation in a colder climate. Two men stood at the southound stop on 4th at Broadway. One of them, with a mustache and crooked teeth, said as I passed, Excuse me, darling... This is embarrassing.

He motioned to the hospital bracelet on his arm--there were two, but the one I saw was an allergy alert.

I just got out of U of L Hospital [1 mile away] and they don't give you bus fare. I'm just trying to get home.

Now, I have a dollar. He shows me a handful of change in his hand. But I just need fifty cents. This man, motioning to the older man standing nearby, gave me a dime.

I paused. I knew, but as I told him, You caught me at the right time. I pulled out two quarters and handed them over.

Thank you, darling! Now I can get home.

I continued to the other end of the bus stop and watched and waited. A few minutes later, he crossed the street and stood at the northbound corner. When the northbound #4 stopped, he walked east, out of view, toward the eastbound stop. A few minutes later, he reappeared and stood at the corner again. Then he crossed, heading north, away from the four closest (and main route) bus stops.

Enjoy your beer, today -- it's gonna be a hot one, I thought as I saw him walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment