Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

# 4 - Downtown/Medical Center (4:13 pm)
Status: 2 minutes late

In the morning I made my husband drive me to work. It was pouring rain. It ended up that I drove, but when we got to campus, he didn't want to get out of the car (neither did I), so he slid across the seats. I had a large umbrella, but my feet got soaked. I avoided one flooded sidewalk by cutting through the parking garage but couldn't avoid the rest. At the edge of the garage, I passed a man without an umbrella standing under the shelter. Perhaps mustering his courage to make a run for it. Perhaps waiting for it to let up. Which it did not do for hours.

Campus flooded. Again. Classes were cancelled. People were told not to come in, but the people already at work were told to stay. When I left at 4, it was warm and sunny, and the sidewalks were dry. Considering the flooding under the train trestles, I anticipated a long bus delay but didn't want to walk because I was still breaking in my new shoes. I was pleasantly surprised to see the bus arrive only 2 minutes late. It was the young drive who says Hello to everyone who boards and Have a good day to everyone who exits.

No comments:

Post a Comment