Friday, March 30, 2012

Saturday, March 24, 2012

# 23 - eastbound

I waited for the 8:45 at 4th & Broadway. It was a cool but sunny day, and I had my headphones on as I walked to the stop. When I got there, a man asked me if this bus went to the Goodwill. The one further down Broadway? I asked. Yes.

He asked if there were other thrift stores nearby. I haven't been over here in awhile. I said I thought the Goodwill was the closest.

He was missing his top two middle teeth and had a cigarette sticking out of the side of his mouth. It was impressive. He said he had been caught in the storm last night (torrents of rain), and I knew he hadn't just been caught in between places. He had been outside because he had no place else to go. So then this morning I said I'm going to get a rain coat. Which is why he was waiting for the bus to Goodwill.

Another man with a shaggy, grey beard rifled through the trash can by the stop. He had a folded newspaper sticking out of his shirt pocket. He pointed out an umbrella to me, but I said, "You can have it -- I'm fine." The umbrella was folded so it was hard to tell if it was broken, but why else would it be in the garbage can.

The morning seemed less bright after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment