Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

# 4 - Iroquois Park (7:57 am)
Status: 4 minutes late

The physical representation of your dreams passing you by is seeing the TARC bus drive away without you. Alternatively, hell is being stuck at a Do Not Walk sign while your bus shows up across the street. In this case, the 7:43 bus turned south onto 4th Street while I was at the northwest corner of 4th & Broadway. The westbound #23 had just stopped. The #4 stopped, picked up people, dropped one person off, and kept going. As a #23 passenger and I scurried across the street --- you have to wait for the light, or you're going to get hit by a car since Broadway has 6 lanes of traffic right there. The passenger who had just gotten off the bus waved his hands, but the bus did not stop.

The next bus was scheduled for 7:55 so I kept walking. Which would have been fine since I had my hat, coat, and gloves on. But I had thin footwear on and those sidewalks were cold. I walked to Kentucky. The bus was 4 minutes late. It took me 40-45 minutes door-to-door to get to work today. 2 miles. Totally should have biked it.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, Emily! Been both places myself more than a few times. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only the lights were timed a little differently -- at least at this location, it would solve the problem. One day last week, I did successfully cross the street against the light and caught the bus before it pulled away, but only because there was a rare period of no oncoming traffic.

    ReplyDelete