Monday, August 22, 2011

Monday, August 22, 2011

This morning I drove. I had to get from downtown to Germantown/Schnitzelburg by 8 a.m. and then to work in Old Louisville. I knew how to get from point B to C, but to get from point A to B would have required getting up earlier (and it was difficult enough to get up) and probably two buses (4 and 27, most likely). When you have a car, it's easy to choose that instead of dealing with the extra hassle of scheduling.

However, it's also the first day of classes at the university so the number of cars and people is much larger than it's been since May. And I don't like to pay to park. And I don't have a university parking permit. Last week my free row of street parking became metered spots and I had to pay $6 for 2.5 hours of parking in the garage. Today I thought I'd park along a side street near the high school which had had spaces last week. Not this morning. I circled around a few streets. It took me less than ten minutes to drive from B to C and at least 10 minutes to then park, plus another 10 minutes to get from the car to the office.

I ended up a few blocks away from campus in a non-metered, non-permit-required space. Which is fine -- the weather is nice, and I could use the walk. But I do this again in 2 weeks and am strongly considering planning ahead for the bus this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment