Monday, May 23, 2011

Thursday, May 19, 2011

# 4 - Downtown/Medical Center

Two young men boarded at around Ormsby. They acted very cool and street-savvy, but I wanted to say, "You're riding TARC on a Thursday afternoon--you can't be that great." The driver yelled at one of them to turn his music down. I could still hear it from my seat halfway back but the driver didn't say anything else. When telling this story to my husband, I said, TARC drivers are like ineffectual parents. They tell you not to do something but there aren't any consequences for not listening.

From the back of the bus, one of the guys said If I got someone pregnant.....[unintelligible] I'd marry the bitch.

At first, I thought this was positive. Good use of active verbs = taking responsibility. The pause could have been "Of course I'd..." Then I realized it could have just as easily been, "There's no way I'd..." In either case, please do not refer to women as "bitch," especially if it's one you've gotten pregnant.

When I got off at Broadway, they were insulting someone's (each other's?) clothing: You better take that shirt back to the corner store where you got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment